Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spelt is spelled s-p-e-l-t!

I admit it.

After opining about our relatively smaller waistlines on this side of the Atlantic, I awoke from a relatively snowy and brutal winter to discover....

that my summer pants didnt fit.

Well, I could get them on and all, I just couldn't zip them.

After not being able to successfully convince myself that the fitted look was really in, and that no one would probably notice, I asked myself, 'How did this happen?" Portion control, check. Exercise, partial check. (Well, gimme a break--it's tough to climb hills in the snow!). Carbohydrate control, negative. That's where I went extremely wrong.

This is not about Atkins or any other fad diet. It's not about completely cutting all of the good stuff out of your diet. It is, however, about substituting this for that and barely feeling it (except when you're able to finally fit into your pants again).

This winter I found myself indulging in my favorite variety of yummy carbohydrates, not saying no to sweets, and pretending that it didn't matter. Well, I'm here to tell you, it did. Here's why and if you remember nothing else, please remember this: calories, while they matter, are far less important than a food's inherent quality of how much available sugar it converts to in your bloodstream and how FAST it converts once you eat it. We call that glycemic index. High glycemic index foods are bad news.

Simple carbohydrates are the worst offenders. Yeah, we all know that white bread, white pasta, white rice, and sugar of any kind is not great for you. But did you know that the following foods are also offenders:
  • carrots
  • corn
  • potatoes (white)
  • honey
  • many kinds of "whole wheat" bread
  • bananas
  • raisins
  • maple syrup
  • preserves (jam or jelly)
I may be missing a few, but trust me folks, the preceding foods should be eaten in extremely modest portions, if at all. Here's why:

When you eat foods with a so-called high "glycemic index" such as the ones I've listed above, you are eating foods which can give you instant energy. The net result of eating these foods is an instant sugar deposit directly into your bloodstream. The body responds to these foods by sending insulin into your bloodstream (otherwise you can get into serious trouble--and this is precisely the issue with diabetes).

There are two problems with insulin surges. First, it's now known that continuous insulin surges over long periods of time can lead to Type II diabetes. I will not even pretend I have a grip on the science here, but suffice to say, the pancreas (the organ responsible for secreting insulin) gets burned out.

The second problem is that, in the presence of insulin, glucagon is suppressed. What is glucagon, you ask? Glucagon is the hormone responsible for directing the body to break down fat to use as energy. You don't want to suppress it. Trust me.

I know that this is a REALLY simplistic explanation of the process but trust that simple carbohydrates are evil.

Complex carbohydrates, on the other hand, are excellent. One needs carbohydrates, and these are the type to have. They are found in whole grain baked goods such as:
  • sourdough (really!)
  • rye bread
  • true whole grain breads (check the label for carbohydrate value and go for the lowest one)
Complex carbs are also found in:
  • sweet potatoes (yams)
  • brown rice or wild rice
So now here's the thing, I realize that simple carbs taste better (as a rule) than complex ones. But here's something for you to try...

In Switzerland we have a grain called spelt, and it is sold as flour as well as pasta (we call this "Ur-dinkel.") In the US, you have brown rice pasta (Trader Joe's makes a fab one). Believe me when I tell you this, you will BARELY notice the difference if you do at all.

So if you really must have your pasta and eat it to, turn to brown rice or spelt.

As for the spelt flour--you can use this as a substitute for anything you normally make with white flour. You WILL NOT NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE. I promise.

Last Sunday I made waffles made with spelt flour...amazing. My 3 year old scarfed them.

I have also made spatzle (small dumplings) with spelt...again, no discernable difference.

These are just a couple of ways you can make a small change and see a major difference. In a world where we are all just about as stressed out as can be, it's natural to look for comfort in our food. You can still have that and do the right thing for your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment