Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Two new reds worthy of adoration...

For all of you red wine fans (and I do use the term "fan" in the traditional sense--an abbreviation for fanatic), I have lately found two Napa Cabs that are absolutely wonderful.

First, Larkmead 2005 Napa Valley Cab. With just enough fruit to keep me interested, but not so much that it would lack sophistication, it absolutely explodes on the palate with a long lovely finish of vanilla and rich buttered toast. For me, the finish is one of the most important aspects of a wine, but the nose is also critical. The nose on the Larkmead is absolutely intoxicating. Wonderful rich vanilla--and as it opens up it's almost like buttercream frosting. I just don't know what else to say about this beauty except that I currently have an inventory of 16 and I am just frantic that one day I will have none left... I imagine that this will cellar beautifully, realizing it's best at around 2013 or so. Bottles are about $60 each, and worth every buck.

Next, Chappellet Cabernet Sauvignon 2005. At $45 a bottle, this drinks as good as any $200+ cab that I've ever had. Again, fantastic nose--to me it's got a lot of vanilla but then I also get a lot of hazelnut which contiues to open and open and open... A good amount of fruit on the palate, but again, not too much. Lots of layers and lovely complexity which ends in a long toasty hazelnut finish.

Give them both a try, you won't regret it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Pamela, Posts like this make me realize that though I may not be saving the world, sharing great wine can be a rarified but worthy profession. FYI The Larkmead Cabernets have been $55 at the winery for the last 3 vintages, $46.25 if you are on our 'Firebelle List,' Slainte, CM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous...just FYI I paid 94 Swiss Francs a bottle (I live in Switzerland) for this unbelieveable wine. So, what are the chances that you'll ship direct to me (and maybe label the box "olive oil.") What I would give to be a Firebelle...

    ReplyDelete