Sunday, December 13, 2009

Good Old Fruit Cobbler

This is the time of year where fresh local fruit seems like a lifetime away, and we wait in purgatory with apples which are now not so crisp and oranges, oranges, and more oranges.  I must say that I do love Clementines, but even those get a bit old after awhile.

I was given this recipe by a dear friend Louisa in Austin, Texas after visiting her hometown one summer and going blackberry picking.  The berries were huge and flavorful, and her mom whipped up a good old fashioned blackberry cobbler in order to deal with all of the excess fruit.  I don't think I can remember a time where a dessert ever tasted so good--I ate and ate and ate until I could eat no more.  And then I went home with the sweet memories of butter, sugar, and blackberries on my mind--and the recipe in my hand.

The nice thing about fruit cobblers is that you don't necessarily need fresh fruit.  I have used this recipe successfully with frozen blackberries too.  I think (although I have not yet tested it) that this would also work with frozen peaches although I would probably defrost them first and drain the liquid before adding them.  Using frozen fruit also requires a slightly longer baking time so just watch your oven.

The other nice thing about fruit cobblers is that they are FAST and EASY!  Unexpected guests?  No problem!  As long as you have a bag of frozen berries in your freezer (and I assume that you have the other ingredients in your home already), you can whip this up in no time at all.  I also use this as an ending to a labor intensive dinner--while I am eating with my guests this can be baking in the oven simultaneously.  There is nothing like a just-from-the-oven dessert as a memorable ending to a fabulous meal.

The last time I served this to our neighbors and very good friends, their teenaged son dove into it with a large spoon, and then only grunting ensued.  In my mind, this was the highest compliment.

So here is the recipe, in all of it's simplicity and glory.  Please enjoy, and don't count calories.  Thank you Louisa!

Blackberry Cobbler

1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
4 cups blackberries
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
 1/2 cup sugar (for topping)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Melt butter on the stovetop or in the microwave.

Combine the 1 cup of sugar, flour, salt, baking powder, and milk and mix until smooth.

Add the melted margarine to the mixture and blend until combined.  Pour mixture into an oblong glass baking pan.  Ladle the fruit over the top of the batter and finish by sprinkling the 1/2 cup of sugar onto the top.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with ice cream or whipped cream or alone.  Serves 4 in large bowls or 6 in smaller bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment