Monday, December 21, 2009

Year end reflections from my house to yours


Goodbye, 2009.  I say goodbye to you with great hopes for 2010.

Was it Steinbeck in Of Mice and Men who said, "Hope fuels man's existence" ?

Each year, just when I think that I have learned all there is to learn, I am surprised and relieved to know that there's still so much out there yet to be discovered.  And this year is no different.  I am also at peace to know that no matter what, I will always have hope, year after year, and the unending belief that we (as a species) will continue to do better.  I will never run out of hope.  As my friend Kerstin says, "Hope dies last."

In 2009 I have experienced triumph and disappointment, anxiety and peace, love and fear.  As I look into the eyes of 2010, I now reflect back on my learnings and look ahead to my hopes.

Most importantly I have learned:

...that the love of a parent for their child and their child's child knows no bounds (thanks, Dad).

...that just because you are 40 years old, it doesn't mean that you still can't turn a few heads.  Granted, those heads usually have gray hair.

...that gray hair is OK with me.  No hair works too.

...that if something seems strange and completely inexplicable, it usually has a pretty good explanation.

...to never doubt the power of love.

...that civil behavior and actions, even in the most trying circumstances, can be the most important investment you can make in a favorable outcome.

...that love and honesty attracts love and honesty.

...that most people will live up to the compassion, kindness, and grace that you show them.

...that looking at things from a positive perspective more often allows the situation to come out positively.

...that you're never too old to learn to use a Mac, or to love one.

...that dancing in the living room with my three and a half year old at the end of a long and trying day makes me forget about the long and trying day.

...that there are three sides to every story.

...that people who show animals respect and love are the most worthy of my respect and love.

...that the greatest misunderstandings arise from language and context, and not from actions.

...that everyone's best might not be the same as my best, but should still be treated as best.

...that what you hope and pray for might not be what you get.  What you get might actually be better.

...that developing a good reputation takes a long time, and that there are plenty of opportunities along the way to wreck it.

...that having a reputation for doing what you promise to do is one of the most valuable assets you can own.


...that trust, whether in business or personal matters, is as fragile as an eggshell, and that you must never fail to protect it.

 ...that when you're really down and out, the ones who have the least will usually give you the most.

I wish all who have been a part of my life, near and far, a joyous holiday and a peaceful and healthy new year.  May hope continue to blossom in your garden.

Pamela

4 comments:

  1. "..that civil behavior and actions, even in the most trying circumstances, can be the most important investment you can make in a favorable outcome."

    Wow, you really have been living in Switzerland for too long...I linked your blog on mine:
    http://exileonthegenesee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll take that as a compliment :)
    thanks for visiting!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. You amaze me. One of the best gifts of 2009 was coming to know and love you.

    I love every single one of these observations and admire the mind and heart that were able to speak them so sincerely.

    The sweetest of blessings to you and Abby and Dad this Christmas eve and this coming new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smiled the moment I clicked on this post...I am sitting at the table right next to the Gingerbread house!
    We have had a Christmas that was all about the people and our shared time together...and not about the things. Because what really lasts are our relationships and our memories; they are the most precious gifts!

    Love to you all...xoxo

    ReplyDelete